Poros island

Poros is a small Greek island-pair in the southern part of the Saronic Gulf, at a distance about 58 km (31 nautical miles) south from Piraeus and separated from the Peloponnese by a 200-metre wide sea channel, with the town of Galatas on the mainland across the strait. Its surface is about 31 square kilometres (12 sq mi) and it has 4,117 inhabitants. The town of Poros has 4,102 of these inhabitants. The only other inhabited settlement is Ágios Nektário. The ancient name of Poros was Pogon. Like other ports in the Saronic, it is a popular weekend destination for Athenian travellers.

Poros consists of two islands: Sphairia (the southern part, which is of volcanic origin, where today's city is located, and Kalaureia also Kalavria or Calauria the northern and largest part. A bridge connects the two islands over a narrow isthmus. The Municipality of Poros also includes a part of the mainland, Kyaní Aktí, at the easternmost point of the Peloponnese Peninsula, between the island of Poros and the island of Hydra and next to the municipalities of Troizina and Ermioni. The total land area of the municipality is 49.582 km², and the total population is 4,348 persons.

Poros is an island with rich vegetation. Much of the northern and far eastern/western sides of the island are bushy, whereas large areas of old pine forest are found in the south and center of the island. It has a good road network and adequate tourist infrastructure, which makes it a popular resort for short holidays. Though possessing no airport, it is easily accessible from Athens via ferry or hydrofoil or from the adjacent mainland at Galatas.

* The town of Poros, with its neoclassical edifices, is built amphitheatrically on the slopes of a hill. Its most famous landmark is a clock tower, built in 1927.
* The Archaeological Museum at Korizis Square houses findings from the Sanctuary of Poseidon, from ancient Troizen, and from other archaeological sites nearby.
* In the northern part of the island are the remains of the Sanctuary of Poseidon, the centre of the Kalaureian amphictyony. The exact date it was built is not known, although researchers estimate it to have been around 520 BC. The dimensions of the temple, which is of the Doric order, are 27.4×14.4 m. There are six columns on each short side and twelve on each long side. It was here that Demosthenes, the famous orator, poisoned himself with hemlock in 322 BC fleeing from the Macedonian Governor Antipatros.
* Poros was the site of the first naval base in modern Greece, established in 1827 during the Greek War of Independence. Most of the activities of Poros naval base were moved to Salamis Naval Base in 1881. The site is still used today by the Hellenic Navy as a training centre for naval personnel.
* Bourtzi castle. It was built by von Heideck at around 1828, at the place were an old church of St. Constantine stood. The island was given to the Poros monastery from 1770 on by Antonios Serfos. The stand off between Hydra island and Capodistrias gave the cause for severe fight here on 1831
* Poros Shell Museum. Founded in 2006, a permanent exhibition of Shells from the Greek Seas is displayed at the Chatzopouleios Library. More info can be found on the webpage

 

Πορος

Ο Πόρος είναι νησί του Σαρωνικού Κόλπου. Η αρχαία ονομασία του ήταν Καλαυρία. Έχει 4.348 κατοίκους σύμφωνα με την απογραφή του 2001 που αποτελούν ομώνυμο δήμο. Βρίσκεται σε μικρή απόσταση από την ακτή Πελοποννήσου και το απέναντι χωριό Γαλατάς. Είναι γνωστός, μεταξύ άλλων, για το σπουδαίο λεμονόδασος που βρίσκεται επί της έναντι ομοίως παραπάνω ακτής. Στον Πόρο βρίσκεται το Κέντρο Νεοσυλλέκτων του Πολεμικού Ναυτικού, ενώ είναι δημοφιλής σαν τόπος μικρών αποδράσεων από την Αθήνα.

Στην πραγματικότητα πρόκειται για δύο νησιά, την Σφαιρία και την Καλαυρία, τα οποία χωρίζει ένα πολύ μικρό κανάλι θάλασσας αμέσως μετά τον Ναύσταθμο. Η Σφαιρία είναι ηφαιστειογενούς προελεύσεως (η πόλη του Πόρου είναι κτισμένη ακριβώς επάνω στον θολωτό κρατήρα), ενώ η Καλαβρία είναι ιζηματογενής και κυριαρχείται από ασβεστολιθικά και σχιστολιθικά πετρώματα.

Το ιστορικό ρολόι, ψηλά στο λόφο, στο κέντρο του Πόρου, αποτελεί σήμα κατατεθέν του νησιού. Στο νοτιοανατολικό μέρος του Πόρου βρίσκεται η ιστορική Μονή Καλαυρίας, ή Μονή Ζωοδόχου Πηγής Πόρου, που κτίσθηκε το 1713.

* Η πόλη του Πόρου, με τα νεοκλασσικά της οικοδομήματα, είναι χτισμένη αμφιθεατρικά στις πλαγιές ενός λόφου.
* Το αρχαιολογικό μουσείο στην πλατεία Κορυζή φιλοξενεί ευρήματα από το ναό του Ποσειδώνα, την αρχαία Τροιζήνα και από άλλα αρχαιολογικά μέρη που είναι κοντά.
* Στο βόρειο μέρος του νησιού βρίσκονται τα ερείπια του ναόυ του Ποσειδώνα, το οποίο ήταν το κέντρο της Αμφικτυονίας της Καλαυρίας.Η ακριβής χρονολογία κατασκευής δεν είναι γνωστή, αν και ερευνητές εκτιμούν πως ήταν γύρω στο 520 π.Χ.. Οι διαστάσεις του νάου, ο οποίος είναι σε Δωρικό ρυθμό, ειναι 27.4x14.4 m. Υπάρχουν 6 κολώνες κατά πλάτος και 12 κολώνες κατά μήκος. Εδώ ήταν που ο Δημοσθένης, o μεγάλος ρήτορας δηλητιριάστηκε με κώνειο το 322 π.Χ. αφου ξέφυγε απο τον κυβερνήτη της Μακεδονίας Αντίπατρο.

 

009 010 011 017 018
020 022 025 028 029
031 033 034 036 037
039 040 043 044 050
055 058 059 061 068
070 071 075 077 083
087 089 090 092 093
096 097 100 101 104
105 107 126 135 137
140 142 147 154 156

  

Απαγορεύεται κατά τον Ν.2121/1993 και κατά τη διεθνή σύμβαση της Βέρνης η αναδημοσίευση και γενικά η αναπαραγωγή ολική, μερική, περιληπτική η κατά παράφραση, η διασκευή, απόδοση του περιεχομένου του παρόντος web site με οποιοδήποτε μέσο και τρόπο, μηχανικό, ηλεκτρονικό, φωτοτυπικό, ηχογράφησης ή άλλο, άνευ προηγούμενης έγγραφης άδειας του Γιωργου Τρουλινου και τών συντελεστών της Ιστοσελιδας. Φωτογραφιες  Copyright: Nελλα Θεοτοκατου, Κειμενα: Wikepedia και Βικιπαίδεια

 

 

copyright 2011 landscapes.gr || Design & Development adtech.gr || All rights reserved