Delphi

Delphi formerly also called Pytho (Πυθώ), is famous as the ancient sanctuary that grew rich as the seat of Pythia, the oracle who was consulted about important decisions throughout the ancient classical world. The ancient Greeks considered the centre of the world to be in Delphi, marked by the stone monument known as the omphalos (navel).

It occupies an impressive site on the south-western slope of Mount Parnassus, overlooking the coastal plain to the south and the valley of Phocis. It is now an extensive archaeological site with a small modern town of the same name nearby. It is recognised by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in having had a phenomenal influence in the ancient world, as evidenced by the rich monuments built there by most of the important ancient Greek city-states, demonstrating their fundamental Hellenic unity.

Delphi is located in upper central Greece, on multiple plateaux along the slope of Mount Parnassus, and includes the Sanctuary of Apollo (the god of light, knowledge and harmony), the site of the ancient Oracle. This semicircular spur is known as Phaedriades, and overlooks the Pleistos Valley.

In myths dating to the classical period of Ancient Greece (510-323 BC), Zeus determined the site of Delphi when he sought to find the centre of his "Grandmother Earth" (Gaia). He sent two eagles flying from the eastern and western extremities, and the path of the eagles crossed over Delphi where the omphalos, or navel of Gaia was found.

Earlier myths include traditions that Pythia, or the Delphic oracle, already was the site of an important oracle in the pre-classical Greek world (as early as 1400 BC) and, rededicated from about 800 BC, when it served as the major site during classical times for the worship of the god Apollo. Apollo was said to have slain Python, a "drako" a serpent or a dragon who lived there and protected the navel of the Earth. "Python" (derived from the verb πύθω (pytho), "to rot") is claimed by some to be the original name of the site in recognition of Python which Apollo defeated. The Homeric Hymn to Delphic Apollo recalled that the ancient name of this site had been Krisa. Others relate that it was named Pytho (Πυθώ) and that Pythia, the priestess serving as the oracle, was chosen from their ranks by a group of priestesses who officiated at the temple.

Occupation of the site at Delphi can be traced back to the Neolithic period with extensive occupation and use beginning in the Mycenaean period (1600–1100 BC). Most of the ruins that survive today date from the most intense period of activity at the site in the 6th century BC.

The ruins of the Temple of Delphi visible today date from the 4th century BC, and are of a peripteral Doric building. It was erected by Spintharus, Xenodoros, and Agathon on the remains of an earlier temple, dated to the 6th century BC which itself was erected on the site of a 7th-century BC construction attributed to the architects Trophonios and Agamedes.

The stoa leads off north-east from the main sanctuary. It was built in the Ionic order and consists of seven fluted columns, unusually carved from single pieces of stone (most columns were constructed from a series of discs joined together). The inscription on the stylobate indicates that it was built by the Athenians after their naval victory over the Persians in 478 BC, to house their war trophies. The stoa was attached to the existing Polygonal Wall.

The site had been occupied by the village of Kastri since medieval times. Before a systematic excavation of the site could be undertaken, the village had to be relocated but the residents resisted. The opportunity to relocate the village occurred when it was substantially damaged by an earthquake, with villagers offered a completely new village in exchange for the old site. In 1893 the French Archaeological School removed vast quantities of soil from numerous landslides to reveal both the major buildings and structures of the sanctuary of Apollo and of Athena Pronoia along with thousands of objects, inscriptions and sculptures.

The Delphi Archaeological Museum is at the foot of the main archaeological complex, on the east side of the village, and on the north side of the main road. The museum houses an impressive collection associated with ancient Delphi, including the earliest known notation of a melody, the famous Charioteer, golden treasures discovered beneath the Sacred Way, and fragments of reliefs from the Siphnian Treasury. Immediately adjacent to the exit (and overlooked by most tour guides) is the inscription that mentions the Roman proconsul Gallio.

Entries to the museum and to the main complex are separate and chargeable, and a reduced rate ticket gets entry to both. There is a small cafe, and a post office by the museum.

 

Οι Δελφοί 

Οι Δελφοί ήταν αρχαία ελληνική πόλη στην οποία λειτούργησε το σημαντικότερο μαντείο του αρχαιοελληνικού κόσμου. Η πόλη αναφέρεται από τους ομηρικούς χρόνους με την ονομασία Πυθώ. Στην αρχή των ιστορικών χρόνων ήταν μία από τις πόλεις της αρχαίας Φωκίδας, αλλά σταδιακά ο ρόλος της πόλης ενισχύθηκε και εξελίχθηκε σε πανελλήνιο κέντρο και ιερή πόλη των αρχαίων Ελλήνων. Αποτέλεσε επίσης κέντρο της Δελφικής Αμφικτυονίας. Οι Δελφοί διατήρησαν τη σημαντική τους θέση μέχρι τα τέλη του 4ου αιώνα μ.Χ., οπότε δόθηκε οριστικό τέλος στη λειτουργία του μαντείου με διάταγμα του αυτοκράτορα Θεοδοσίου Α΄. Τους επόμενους αιώνες η πόλη παρήκμασε και εγκαταλείφθηκε οριστικά την περίοδο των σλαβικών επιδρομών.

Σύμφωνα με την παράδοση, στην περιοχή των Δελφών υπήρχε ιερό αφιερωμένο στη γυναικεία θεότητα της Γαίας και φύλακάς του είχε τοποθετηθεί ο φοβερός δράκοντας Πύθων. Σύμφωνα με τοπικούς μύθους κύριος του ιερού έγινε ο Απόλλων όταν σκότωσε τον Πύθωνα. Στη συνέχεια ο θεός μεταμορφωμένος σε δελφίνι μετέφερε στην περιοχή Κρήτες, οι οποίοι ίδρυσαν το ιερό του. Ο μύθος αυτός σχετικά με την κυριαρχία του Απόλλωνα επιβίωσε σε εορταστικές αναπαραστάσεις στις τοπικές γιορτές, όπως τα Σεπτήρια, τα Δελφίνια, τα Θαργήλια, τα Θεοφάνεια, και τα Πύθια

Ο αρχαιολογικός τόπος είχε καλυφθεί από το χωριό Καστρί, ήδη από τον Μεσαίωνα. Οι κάτοικοι είχαν χρησιμοποιήσει αρχαίο οικοδομικό υλικό για την κατασκευή των σπιτιών τους (πράγμα συνηθισμένο στο παρελθόν), ιδιαίτερα μετά το σεισμό του 1580, που ισοπέδωσε αρκετά χωριά στη Φωκίδα. Ήταν αναγκαίο να μετακινηθεί το χωριό ώστε να μπορέσουν να γίνουν οι ανασκαφές κάτι όμως που αρνούνταν οι κάτοικοι. Η ευκαιρία να μετατοπισθεί το χωριό δόθηκε όταν αυτό καταστράφηκε μερικώς από σεισμό και οι κάτοικοι έδωσαν τον αρχαιολογικό χώρο με αντάλλαγμα ένα νέο χωριό. Το 1893 η Γαλλική Αρχαιολογική Σχολή ξεκίνησε μεγάλης κλίμακας ανασκαφές, έτσι ώστε τα σημαντικά κτήρια του ιερού του Απόλλωνα, όπως επίσης και χιλιάδες αντικειμένων, επιγραφών και γλυπτών να έρθουν στην επιφάνεια.

Τέσσερις περιοχές του χώρου αναστηλώθηκαν περισσότερο ή λιγότερο. Ο Θησαυρός των Αθηναίων αναστηλώθηκε ολόκληρος λόγω του πλήθους των αυθεντικών αρχαίων αντικειμένων που βρέθηκαν από την γαλλική ομάδα υπό την χορηγία του Δημάρχου Αθηναίων. Ο Βωμός των Χίων αναστηλώθηκε το 1959 από την Ελληνική Αρχαιολογική Υπηρεσία. Η Θόλος και ο Ναός του Απόλλωνα υπέστησαν μικρές αναστηλώσεις.

Οι Δελφοί είναι μια περιοχή με έντονη τουριστική κίνηση, αφού αποτελεί μνημείο παγκόσμιας κληρονομιάς της UNESCO. Εκτός του αρχαιολογικού χώρου και του μουσείου, υπάρχει το Ευρωπαϊκό Πολιτιστικό Κέντρο και στην ευρύτερη περιοχή μια σειρά Ιερών Μονών θρησκευτικού ενδιαφέροντος. Επίσης, οι Δελφοί βρίσκονται σε μικρή απόσταση 10 χλμ από την Αράχωβα, σημαντικό χειμερινό προορισμό της Στερεάς Ελλάδας, και σε κοντινή απόσταση από το θερινό παραθεριστικό κέντρο της Ιτέας καθώς και από τον παραδοσιακό οικισμό του Γαλαξειδίου.


01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25

 

Απαγορεύεται κατά τον Ν.2121/1993 και κατά τη διεθνή σύμβαση της Βέρνης η αναδημοσίευση και γενικά η αναπαραγωγή ολική, μερική, περιληπτική η κατά παράφραση, η διασκευή, απόδοση του περιεχομένου του παρόντος web site με οποιοδήποτε μέσο και τρόπο, μηχανικό, ηλεκτρονικό, φωτοτυπικό, ηχογράφησης ή άλλο, άνευ προηγούμενης έγγραφης άδειας του Γιωργου Τρουλινου και τών συντελεστών της Ιστοσελιδας. Φωτογραφιες copyright: ΝΕΛΛΑ ΘΕΟΤΟΚΑΤΟΥ Κειμενα: wikipedia

 

 

copyright 2011 landscapes.gr || Design & Development adtech.gr || All rights reserved